South Bristol Schools Crisis

Offers for primary school places have been made for September 2014 and we are delighted that the local schools were able to accommodate all children living in the area. Many families got their first choice. Thank you to the Council and schools for their hard work.

The area now has sufficient reception places for all the children in the area. There has been strong support from the Council, with the acquisition of land for Ashton Gate and Southville to expand, and from the local schools which have expanded or taken on "bulge" classes when needed. There are also plans to create a new school on the caravan site near Spike Island, which should increase choice for BS3 families and help with the lack of places in the Hotwells and Clifton Wood areas.

We continue to monitor these developments and keep the community informed.

South Bristol Schools Campaign is a community-led group initially formed when there was a lack of local school places in BS3. It seems that long term solutions are now in place, so our role will now be limited to liaising with schools and the Council to ensure the delivery of promised new places and new sites, and to share information with the local community.

For the latest information, join the mailing list - this will allow the campaign group to quickly and easily inform and keep track of all those concerned.

You can also email the campaign group:

Thursday, 1 December 2011

Letter from Lloyd Fletcher about Ashton Gate's possible plans for expansion

Dear Parents and Carers,

Thanks to all who contributed to the recent consultation on the possible expansion of Ashton Gate. The information many of

you provided by email, in person, through the open meeting, and the questionnaire has helped governors understand the wide

range of parent views. The consultation has now finished, and I’d like to bring you up to date on where we are now.

At a special meeting of the finance and buildings committee on 29th November, governors discussed the school community’s

views and the options available to us. Taking into account your input, as well as continuing discussions with the Local

Authority, architects, and school staff, we are exploring the option of putting Nursery and Reception on the St. Francis Church

site. This would enable 3-form Reception entry in 2012 and 2013. If implemented, this plan should bring significant benefits to

both the Early Years unit and the wider school.

Details remain to be ironed out to ensure this plan is feasible. A final decision will be made at the next meeting of the Full

Governing Body on 13th December, in time to inform the LA before their public announcement on 15th. In the meantime, we

will contact you again as things develop.

The minutes of the recent meeting and a summary of the results of the online questionnaire will be available on the school Web

site shortly. Thank you again for contributing to the discussions about expansion.


Lloyd Fletcher

Chair of Governors

No comments:

Post a Comment